Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The inextinguishable witness of Polycarp

One of my favourite historical figures is the early church father, Polycarp, a disciple of the apostle John.  His life and letters are inspiring and provide a lot of insight into the beliefs and practices of the generation that immediately followed the original apostles. His death, too, is a testimony of God’s grace given at the moment of need.  Here is a video that I happened upon this afternoon that I thought that you might enjoy that tells the story of his martyrdom and his inextinguishable faith.

3 comments:

keynciontan said...

Polycarp was indeed amazing.
I wish I could be so rooted in Christ as he was. He's a real hero of the faith.

Glenn Penner said...

The good news is, by God's grace, you can be. He has given you everything you need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3)

Lorraine said...

That is such an amazing verse isn't it!!? Kelsey, I'm sure that the Lord is doing a good work in you even now, and He will give you the courage, strength and grace you need for the hour. I bet Polycarp would have balked at what was to come upon him if he had known, but God provided what he needed in his darkest hour.

Hugs, sister,
Lorraine