Thursday, July 12, 2007

God is Faithful

I am already working ahead on our September newsletter because I hope to be gone for much of August to Alberta for vacation (pray that this can take place, please). I am writing the feature article and have entitled it A Prayer in the Wilderness. It is a little more autobiographical than what we usually print. I hope our readers don't mind. As many of you are aware, I was diagnosed with cancer five years ago. I have received letters of encouragement, assurances of prayer, and words of advice from across Canada and around the world. I am humbled by the love and concern that has been showered on me and my family. The staff and Board of Directors of The Voice of the Martyrs have been more supportive than we could have ever hoped for, especially after I underwent a bone-marrow transplant late in 2006 that left me hospitalized for three weeks. Since I returned to the office at the end of January, I praise God that I have been able to resume most of my responsibilities apart from traveling (my immune system is still suppressed).

Having cancer has been a life-changing experience for me, mostly for the good, and I wanted to share some of what God has taught me though the testimony of His persecuted children and His Word. These two revelations have been foundational in my spiritual development over the past five years. God's Word is always foundational and paramount, of course. God has opened His Word to me in significant ways since my diagnosis. My book, In the Shadow of the Cross, was written during this time. But seeing how God works in the lives of His persecuted people around the world also prepared me for my own journey of suffering. The call to walk in faith is the same for God's people regardless of their circumstances. The persecuted demonstrate how it can be done in the harshest of settings; not always perfectly, of course, but we see how it is possible to trust God and love Him in the face of unchanging circumstances and seeming unanswered prayers. My testimony, like theirs is this: God is faithful...all of the time.

If you are interested in subscribing to VOMC's free monthly newsletter, you find out more about it by clicking here.

No comments: