Monday, February 09, 2009

Pray without ceasing

Shuang Shuying (79) was sentenced in February 2007 to two years in prison on charges of “willfully damaging private property” (to learn more, please click here). According to a recent report from ChinaAid, Shuang was released from detention on February 8 and immediately went to visit her dying husband, Hua Zaichen (91). It is truly a blessing that she is now free to be there for her husband in what appear to be his last days here on earth.

After her release, Shuang sent a letter to ChinaAid to express her gratitude for the many Christians who stood with her throughout the dark days of imprisonment.


A Letter of Thanks to All the Brothers and Sisters All Over the World

I am Shuang Shuying, 79 years old. Two years ago, my son Hua Huiqi was put in jail by the Chinese police. In order to force my son to compromise his faith and betray brothers and sisters, I was sentenced to two years in prison as a hostage by the Public Security Bureau. During my imprisonment, the PSBs of Beijing went to my prison interrogating, threatening and harassing me numerous times. They even directed other prisoners to take off all of my clothes and forced me stand alone outside in the evening without letting me sleep. Seven prisoners kept watching me in turn. I was not allowed to move even when the mosquitoes bit me or I would be slapped on my face and poked on the veins on my hands. I still had wounds that were unhealed on my hands. The PSB officers even forced me to drink my own urine. They threatened me not to tell anyone about the tortures I experienced. During these terrible circumstances, I prayed without ceasing. I asked God to give me strength. Every time when my son came to visit me and shared with me that brothers and sisters from all over the world had been praying for me, I felt greatly strengthened and empowered which has enabled me to continue to live. When I was released from jail this morning (February 8), I went to visit my hospitalized old companion (husband) who is not even able to recognize me anymore because of losing consciousness. So I sincerely plead to brothers and sisters all over the world to continue to pray for me and my husband. At the same time, I want to thank each one of you for your continuous prayers, care and support for my husband, Hua Zaichen, and me.

A branch of the Body of Christ,

Shuang Shuying

Shuang suffered immensely while in detention and her family continues to be monitored by Public Security Bureau officials. She and her family still stand in the need of prayer. In Romans 12:5 we read, “In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.” As members of one body, please remember this family today, asking God to strengthen and encourage them in the coming days.

No comments: