Saturday, June 09, 2007

Life as a secret Christian convert

Abandoning Islam for Christianity is such a sensitive issue in Malaysia that many converts find themselves leading a secret, double life.

"If people know that I've converted to Christianity, they might take the law into their own hands. If they are not broadminded, they might take a stone and throw it at me."

These are the words of a Muslim convert in Malaysia, in a BBC report from late last year which I only just ran across this week. The recent ruling by the Malaysian Federal Court against Lina Joy and the upcoming edition of The Voice of the Martyrs Newsletter which features Malaysia has caused me to have an increased concern for this nation. Click here to read the remainder of the BBC report and if you are not receiving The Voice of the Martyrs Newsletter, may I encourage you to subscribe today so as not to miss the July edition on Malaysia.

No comments: