Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Just a Wee Bit of an Update

It's been two days since I left the hospital after been taken directly to emergency from my flight home from Europe.  It turned out that dopeythe extreme pain in my shoulder was the first sign of my third case of shingles; my worst case yet by far.  The past two weeks have been a blur of pain and medication to suppress it.  The chicken pox-like blisters covered me from head to foot and while they are now pretty much dried up, the pain remains.  And the mental fog from the drugs.

I have had a while to think.  It is obvious to me from this experience (and other recent ones) that I am going to have to demonstrate a type of leadership uncommon in this kind of ministry.  Typically, those involved in working with the persecuted are led by those who like to be on the frontlines, out front leading the way.  That has been my life for several years.  But it is obvious that I need to select my traveling experiences far more carefully and start modeling a cross-centred style of leadership that ministers from a position of weakness.  Many talk of this; I am going to have to live it out.  My body demands it.  I think God does too. Thankfully, I have a Board and staff that support me in this divine experiment.  I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that that had been my prayer for you over the past few weeks. When John the Baptist said that "He must increase and I must decrease" it goes against our nature and what the world - and even the church - consider leadership.
I wasn't praying for shingles, honestly! I pray for good health for you but I know that "His strength is made perfect in weakness. Blessings to all at VOM. Eunice

Glenn Penner said...

Thank you for your encouraging words, Eunice. I am actually writing this from the office. Trying to put in a few hours today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us know how to pray for you and ultimately the entire ministry of VOMC. We're standing with you in trusting God to see greater glory brought to Him as you learn even more of cross centered leadership (which you have consistently displayed). We love and support you, brother!