Monday, May 12, 2008

Returning Home

As I noted in an earlier blog, I injured my right shoulder while in Ukraine. At the time, it was just uncomfortable. It has since blossomed into full scale agonizing pain, so much so that I have only managed a couple of hours of sleep during each of the last three nights.  As I rode on the train yesterday to Bonn for meetings today, I came to the decision that I could no longer continue this trip. Enduring the pain that has spread throughout the right side of my body has become the focus of my life over the past few days, not the meetings that I have come for.  So I am returning home this afternoon.

While I am grateful that this injury had nothing to do with my cancer or stem cell transplant, it is still frustrating and very disappointing to have to cut this trip short, as I had such hopes for it.  Could I continue, I would.  But God is on control and while I plead for His touch on my shoulder during this time, I rest in this knowledge, even though I get very little rest otherwise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that you had to leave Europe. When these things come up and disrupt our plans it is so disappointing. I pray that you will soon get relief from the pain. Remember God's love for you has not changed.
Eunice

Michelle said...

I am sorry about your shoulder and will be praying. If you ever pass through Kyiv again, please let me know. I would love to meet you and share a cup of coffee with you....

Sheila said...

Just found this blog this morning. Praying for you!

Sheila

Evergreenword said...

God will help you and make you strong!
God bless you.
Chris

Glenn Penner said...

Thanks for all of the kind words and prayers. I was was taken directly from the plane to the emergency department and then transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto. I am still there. Turns out I had a very severe case of shingles (for the third time) with chikcen pox-like vestibules covering me from head to foot (they started to come out while I was in the air on the way home.) The shoulder pain was the first symptom of that. Weird, eh? Anyway, I'll try to blog something when I am not quite so numbed with painkillers.