Saturday, May 24, 2008

Some Thoughts from Proverbs 29

I have been doing my personal devotions out of Proverbs lately, which is quite ideal given my rather limited attention span given the drugs I am still receiving here in the hospital. The day before yesterday, I read Proverbs 29:26: "Many seek the face of a ruler, but it is from the LORD that a man gets justice."

There are many who suppose that the "problem" of Christian persecution can be solved, either universally or in a particular society and the key, they imagine, is to gain the face of the right political or religious leader, to make a sufficient enough lobby so as to get the right important person to speak on behalf of your cause.

I do not deny the importance of advocacy or lobbying efforts. Certainly we as an organization have seen significant results from time to time when a politicial leader speaks up publicly or (perhaps more importantly) acts privately on behalf of an unjustly imprisoned Christian. Advocacy efforts are an important part of speaking for those who have no voice.

But for all of our efforts, we must remember that it is from the Lord that justice ultimately comes. Few would deny the importance of prayer. But is is far easier to "do something" that you can point to with a sense of accomplishment. We must squarely ask ourselves whether we are really convinced that God is more powerful than our advocacy and lobbying tools. In whom do we ultimately put our trust? Do we really believe that prayer is the primary and foundational act of the child of God seeking justice in the world?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jSo true!I do hope many of us reading this will take a moment to search our heart to see whether we are honestly looking unto the Lord for justice,been convinced of the truth in Pro 21:1(The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.)Oh, for the grace to stake our lives on this truth - this will be rest indeed.

Spark said...

For me the question starts in my own life, in my own home in relationship with my husband and in my day to day business.
These days when I examine my heart I do seek the face of a ruler. That ruler is myself.
Justice, rights, self-preservation are all things that I battle to give over to the Lord daily. What a battle.
Father, You ARE more powerful than anything on this earth and off this earth. I ask that daily you give us (me) the strength to put all our trust in You and You alone. You are the ONLY true source of justice and You are the one true source for all our needs according to your riches in glory. Continue to drown us in your amazing grace and mercy and enable us daily to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus!