Sunday, November 01, 2009

What have you been reading lately?

It’s been a few months since I last blogged about what I have been reading. The fact is, since my last posting in late July I went through a bout of pneumonia and fatigue that made it rather difficult for me to concentrate on reading. However, I have been feeling better the last few weeks and have had the chance to read a couple of books that I would like to pass on to you.

The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans. The first of a trilogy of documenting the history of Hitler’s Third Reich. Thorough, well-researched, and well-written.  This volume focuses on the conditions that led to the coming of power of the Nazis in Germany. Very enlightening. Having read a fair bit on this subject, I think I can say that this trilogy will become the new standard text on the subject. Highly recommended. I am now reading the second volume, The Third Reich in Power.

 Escaping North Korea by Mike Kim. A  While not a work of scholarship, this is a very readable and helpful look into the life of ordinary North Koreans. It contains a number of inspirational stories of those who fled to China, overcoming great adversity with many becoming Christians and choosing to return to win their families to Christ. We will soon be making this book available on our online catalogue.

So what have you been reading lately?

6 comments:

Arla M. said...

I've been reading Extreme Devotion, by The Voice of the Martyrs. The stories, situations, and challenges are so fascinating. It is so encouraging to me as I struggle with troubling situations, to have a window into what other Christians have been challenged with and have gone through with God's help. This book is highly inspirational, and urges me to stretch my faith. It is a way for the stronger parts of Christ's body to help the weaker parts. Though I'm not quite done it, I know that I will be rereading it many times, and have also ordered a couple more copies to give to friends.

Anonymous said...

I just picked up Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterson at our church library. I've heard of him but am just now getting around to reading some of his material. I'm looking forward to it. Suggested companion materials?

Matthew said...

I've been reading "To Live in Peace," by Rev. Mark Gornik. He planted the church that I attend in inner-city Baltimore, and he then went on to write this very well-researched book (that has the whiff of a thesis turned into a book) about community, the city, the church, and development-- a theological and sociological exploration of community development. A great read!

The premarital counselor also handed me two Doug Wilson books, "Fidelity" and "Federal Husband." He said, "I know you don't like Doug Wilson, and you know I don't like Doug Wilson. But you should read these anyway..." so I guess I shall.

Glenn Penner said...

I hate to confess, Anonymous, that I have never read anything by G.K. Chesterson. Isn't that terrible for someone who loves theology?

Steve Boissoin said...

Confessions by St. Augustine and a much lighter read, Reasons for Faith: Making A Case for the Christian Faith by Norman Geisler & Chad Meister.

Blessings,

Stephen Boissoin

Glenn Penner said...

I remember reading through an abridged version of Confessions when I was in Bible College. Tough reading. Right now I am reading through Greer & Smith's new book "The Poor will be Glad". Should be required reading for mission and aid organization leaders